Shawnee Indian Mission Sign
Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855. MOVED BACK JULY 12, 1855, WHEN REEDER AGAIN TOOK UP HIS RESIDENCE IN IT WITH OFFICE IN BUILDING NORTH OF ROAD. CAPITOL MOVED FROM SHAWNEE MISSION TO LECOMPTON, FEBR. 22, 1856." The mission was established at this site in 1839, closed in 1862, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1968.