Columbus Park

Displaying 25 - 36 of 37

Letter from the priests of the Holy Rosary Church to Edwin V. O'Hara, Bishop of Kansas City. The priests express concern that affixing boundary lines to Kansas City parishes would be a detriment to the future of the Holy Rosary Church in Columbus Park.

1940's photograph of the Holy Rosary School after the new front addition to the old building. This vantage point faces east on Campbell Street from just south of Missouri Avenue.

Photograph of a nativity at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church.

Photograph of the original thirteen members of Boy Scout Troop 70, Holy Rosary's first boy scout troop, sponsored by the adult businessmen known as the Youth Council. This vantage point faces east-northeast towards the entrance to the Holy Rosary Health Center and School.

1940's photograph of the Holy Rosary Church (left) and the parochial school (right). This vantage point faces southeast from the northwest corner of Campbell Street and Missouri Avenue.

Photograph of Columbus Park community volunteers constructing the St. John Bosco Center, Roman Catholic community hall. The land for the center was donated by Rosa Nigro, Kansas City's first woman pharmacist. This vantage point was taken facing east-northeast with the Holy Rosary Catholic Church (left) and Holy Rosary School (right).

1940's photograph of small homes in Columbus Park at the base of the Missouri River bluffs.

Photograph of Columbus Park community volunteers constructing the St. John Bosco Center, Roman Catholic community hall. The land for the center was donated by Rosa Nigro, Kansas City's first woman pharmacist. This vantage point was taken facing east-northeast with the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in the background.

Photograph of members of the Italian Supreme Intersocial Council of Kansas City. It consisted of members of several lodges and societies for the purpose of mutual aid to lodge and society members and the poor of the Holy Rosary parish.

Menu cover, ca. 1934, of speakeasy/nightclub Dante's Inferno, once located at 1104 Independence Avenue. Dante, nude women, and snakes are depicted as part of the nightclub's logo. Source: Ida Minturn.

The Half and Half entertainer, half man and half woman, posed for full-length portrait at Dante's Inferno in Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Half-and-Half would regularly perform there as a singer, comedian, and impersonator, ca. 1935. Source: Ida Minturn.

Interior of speakeasy/nightclub Dante's Inferno, once located at 1104 Independence Avenue. This photograph was taken circa 1934 by Kaufman Photo Studio, Kansas City, Missouri. Source: Ida Minturn.

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY