Independence

Displaying 1 - 12 of 13

Temple Lot

Postcard of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Temple Lot in Independence, Missouri. This vantage point faces northeast near the intersection of West Walnut Street and Temple Court. Pictured is the Stone Church (left) and the Hedrickite Church (center background).

Mount Washington School

Photograph with an exterior, street level view of Mount Washington School located on Independence Avenue (7th Street) between Oakland Street (Evanston Avenue) and Arlington Avenue. This vantage point faces northeast from the northeast corner of 7th and Arlington.

Mount Washington Methodist Episcopal Church, South

Circa 1925 photograph of the Mount Washington Methodist Episcopal Church, South located at the northwest corner of Arlington Avenue and Independence Avenue in present-day Independence, Missouri.

Mount Washington 1931 School Class

Photograph with an exterior view of an unidentified group of students standing by the north door at Mount Washington School.

Mount Washington 1926 School Class

Photograph with an exterior view of an unidentified group of students standing by the east door at Mount Washington School.

Jackson County Courthouse Renovations

Photograph of Jackson County Courthouse undergoing renovations.

Jackson County Courthouse

Photograph of the old Jackson County Courthouse in Independence, Missouri, prior to renovations in 1933. Later known as the Truman Courthouse. This vantage point faces northwest from the intersection of Lexington Avenue and Main Street.

Hedrickite Church

Photograph with exterior view of the Church of Christ (Hedrickite Church) or (Temple Lot) located in Independence, Missouri, at River Boulevard and Lexington Avenue on what is referred to as the Temple Lot. Church is a Latter Day Saints sect.

First Presbyterian Church of Independence Parochial School

Photograph with exterior view of the parochial school for the First Presbyterian Church of Independence, Missouri, located at the northwest corner of Lexington Avenue and Pleasant Street. This vantage point faces south from Maple Avenue just west of Pleasant Street.

First Methodist Episcopal Church, South

Photograph of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South located at the northwest corner of Maple Avenue and Spring Street in Independence, Missouri.

First Jackson County Courthouse

Photograph with full, front view of the first Jackson County courthouse located in Independence, Missouri. It is the oldest courthouse west of the Mississippi River.

Alf Landon Votes During 1936 Election

Clipping entitled "Landon Family Votes" from the Kansas City Journal-Post on November 3, 1936 showing John Landon, Alf Landon, and Theo Cobb Landon voting on General Election Day. The caption states, "Governor and Mrs. Landon voted Tuesday in their home precinct in Independence, Kas. Left to right are John Landon, the governor’s father; Mrs. Landon, Governor Landon, and an election clerk. —Acme."