Overland Park, KS

Displaying 25 - 36 of 62
Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of two young women driving a horse buggy at the Schultzel Farm circa 1937. Suzanne Schutzel, on the left, holds the horse's reins, while the other young women holds a parasol to shade them. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of a group of Campfire Girls riding on a hayrack at Schutzel Farm circa 1935. Emil Schutzel II stands at the front of the hayrack, holding the reins of two horses, with his son, Emil Schutzel III at his rear. A group of 13 girls and an adult women sit, stand, and recline across the rest of the hayrack. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of 11 young girls gathered around and feeding a flock of birds on the Schutzel Farm, circa 1935. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960. The girls were participating in the Campfire Girls program. Judy Hawkins is identified as the first girl on the left, Janice Hewitt is 5th from left, and Suzanne Schutzel at the far right.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of a child and a goat inside a wood box on the Schutzel Farm in the mid-1930s. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960. The young boy, Emil Schutzel III, was born in 1929. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of two women, dressed in trousers and headscarves, bottle feeding a piglet at the Schutzel Farm circa 1937. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Genre: 
Photographs

Aerial view of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis G. Wilson at 67th and Glenwood Streets in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The Wilson residence, at the center of the image, and a neighboring Tudor-style house to the west face 67th Street, which runs across the lower right of the image. Glenwood Street runs north and south through the lower left of the image. Several other houses, barns, and outbuildings surround the Wilson residence, along with large yards and farmland. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the Porter Dairy Farm near 91st and Antioch in Overland Park, Kansas, in the early 1900s. Barns, silos, and other farm buildings are visible in the middle of the image, surrounded by pastureland. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the Sinclair Oil Company station, the first gas station in Johnson County, at 75th and Metcalf, circa 1920. Ralph Jessup, dressed in coveralls and a cap, stands near a gas pump. A sign atop the service station reads "Jessup's Service Station" and "Sinclair Gasoline."

Genre: 
Photographs

Interior photograph of the Kittle Dry Goods store in downtown Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. A man, likely owner O. H. Kittle, is pictured at the center of the image, and clothing, bolts of fabric, sewing patterns, and dishes are among the types of merchandise pictured. The building, originally known as the Conser Building, is located on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster Streets and was built by Grant Conser in 1911.

Genre: 
Photographs

Exterior photograph of the Kittle Dry Goods store in downtown Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The two-story brick building has a painted sign advertising "dry goods, shoes, [and] furnishings" in the awning-shaded front window, above a display of dresses and home goods. Second-story windows feature signs that say "CARBAUGH" and "PHYSICIAN." The building, originally known as the Conser Building, is located on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster Streets and was built by Grant Conser in 1911.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the Kittle family's home at 8039 West 80th in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1916. The two-story wood house was occupied by the family of O. H. Kittle, dry goods company operator, and a car is visible in the driveway at the right side of the image.

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn and power plant in Overland Park, Kansas, circa the late 1940s. Officially named the Missouri and Kansas Interurban Railway, the Strang Line ceased operations in 1940, and the car barn is shown heavily covered in ivy, with tracks overgrown with weeds in the foreground.

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY