This photograph was taken looking west-southwest near the south entrance of Benton Boulevard just north of Swope Parkway.
The Black Archives of Mid-America
A reprint of an article clipped from defunct Kansas City newspaper, The Kansas City American. This clipping documents the shift in local and national politics in which black voters begin to support Democratic candidates. Felix H. Payne and the Central United Democratic Committee provides an endorsement for Judge James V.
Photograph of Kindergarten students at Lincoln School, known after 1918 as W. W. Yates School. Once located at the northwest corner of Campbell Street and 11th Street in Kansas City, Missouri.
Photograph of the Alpha Lyra Glee Club, under the direction of Mrs. D. A. Holmes.
Photograph of Kansas City Monarchs and Hilldale Giants at the Negro Leagues' first Colored World Series
Kansas City Monarchs and Hilldale Giants standing side by side at the opening game Negro Leagues' first Colored World Series in Kansas City, Missouri on October 11, 1924. From left to right players and officials are identified as Loyd, McNair, Joseph, Morris, C Johnson, Roban, Allen, Menpez, Moore, W. Bell, Hawkins, Duncan, C.
Photograph of Reverend Preston Allen, Sr. and Otealet Allen outside of their home at 2439 Forest Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri.
This photograph was taken looking south-southeast on the west side of Troost Avenue between 42nd and 43rd Streets in Kansas City, Missouri. Advertisements for Creme Oil and the 1925 film "Wages for Wives" are shown on Merrit Outdoor Advertising Co. billboards.
Portrait photograph of Dr. Solomon H. Thompson, who began a “Black Hospital Movement” in the Kansas City area that began to address the health concerns of non-white communities. Along with Kansas City, Missouri, physician Thomas C. Unthank, Dr. Thompson founded Douglass Hospital and Training School for Nurses in Kansas City, Kansas.
This photograph was taken looking east-southeast on 12th Street near Virginia Avenue.
Photograph of the Ministers Congress in Kansas City, posed inside of an unidentified church.
Photograph of the Wheatley-Provident Hospital Dedication on Forest Avenue between 18th Street and 19th Street at 2:30 pm on September 29, 1918. This vantage point faces east towards the platform on the western side of Forest Avenue. The hospital is pictured on the left.
Six members of the Chauncey Downs Orchestra performing with drums, three saxophones, a trumpet and an upright bass. "CD" (Chauncey Downs) is written on the three band stands in front of each seated saxophone player.