Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph

Displaying 73 - 84 of 111

Guy B. Park

Portrait photograph of Guy B. Park, governor of Missouri from 1933-1937. Park was principal speaker at the Court of Honor, December 21, 1937 at Holy Cross School Auditorium.

Golden Jubilee of Our Lady of Sorrows Church

Souvenir program for the Golden Jubilee of Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Kansas City, Missouri. Included are portrait photographs of past and present clergy and church society officers, a history of the parish, and interior and exterior photographs.

Golden Jubilee of Bishop Thomas F. Lillis at Convention Hall

Photograph of the crowd at Convention Hall attending the Golden Jubilee of Bishop Thomas F. Lillis. Caption: "THE GREAT THRONG for which Convention hall was inadequate listening to the sermon delivered by Archbishop John J. Glennon of St. Louis, who may be seen at extreme right. In the subsanctuary, facing at right angles to the speaker, are the threescore bishops and archbishops who attended the ceremony."

Funeral of Monsignor James T. Walsh

Photograph of pallbearers carrying the body of Monsignor James T. Walsh who erected the Our Lady of Good Counsel Church at 3934 Washington Street, Kansas City, Missouri. Walsh died on November 20, 1925 and was buried three days later.

From Thomas F. Lillis to Urban Fruendt

Letter from Thomas F. Lillis, Bishop of the Kansas City Diocese, to Very Reverand Father Urban Fruendt, O.F.M. Lillis asks if Fruendt can provide him with a priest that can speak Spanish to lead the congregation of Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church. Lillis then provides details about the position.

From Thomas F. Lillis to Louis Franchinotti

Letter from Bishop Thomas F. Lillis to Reverend Louis Franchinotti of the Holy Rosary Church. Lillis reports that he receives ongoing requests from the Italian community and congregation of Holy Rosary for more English-speaking services in the parish. Lillis believes Franchinotti needs a priest fluent in English to help him because "eventually there will be no other language here in Kansas City but the English, so we must provide for the future."

From Thomas F. Lillis to Louis Franchinotti

Letter from Bishop Thomas F. Lillis to Reverend Louis Franchinotti of the Holy Rosary Church. Lillis comments that since all students in the Holy Rosary School are taught in English, it would be counterintuitive to employ another Italian-speaking priest at Holy Rosary.

From Thomas F. Lillis to Leonard Azcona

Letter from Thomas F. Lillis, Bishop of the Kansas City Diocese, to Father Leonard Azcona. Lillis denies Azcona's request to be relieved of teaching at the Our Lady of Guadalupe School. He mentions that, "more money has been given to Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, this City, by people not members of the congregation than to all of the churches combined in Kansas City."

From Thomas F. Lillis to Angelo Strazzoni

Letter from Bishop Thomas F. Lillis to the Very Reverend Angelo Strazzoni. Lillis expresses his concern that many Italian families in Kansas City claim membership to the Holy Rosary parish in Columbus Park, but do not tithe or attend services outside of baptisms, marriages, or funerals. Since 90% of Italian families not living near Holy Rosary reside within the bounds of St. Partrick's or St. John's parish, Lillis suggests those families consider themselves members of those parishes.

From Holy Rosary Church to Edwin V. O'Hara

Letter from the priests of the Holy Rosary Church to Edwin V. O'Hara, Bishop of Kansas City. The priests express concern that affixing boundary lines to Kansas City parishes would be a detriment to the future of the Holy Rosary Church in Columbus Park. They explain that many Italian families living outside of the neighborhood far prefer Holy Rosary as this parish provides spiritual welfare for those most comfortable speaking Italian.

From Henry F. McElroy to Bruno Nicoli

Letter from Kansas City City Manager H. F. McElroy to Bruno Nicoli, Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 80. McElroy expresses his gratitude for the scouts' assistance in the promotion of pedestrian safety and donates ten dollars to the troop.

First St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church at Forest Avenue and 53rd Street

Photograph of the first St. Francis Xavier Church, constructed at the northwest corner of 53rd Street and Forest Avenue in 1910. The building was destroyed by a fire on September 19, 1925.