Kansas Historical Society

Displaying 73 - 84 of 175

Kansas City Inter-City Viaduct

Photograph, which appears to be taken between 1930 and 1940, taken from inside a vehicle driving on the Inter-City Viaduct, looking east with the Kansas City, Missouri skyline in view in the background. The viaduct connects Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri.

John's Candy Factory

Photograph of John's Candy Store in the 1920s, including owner Elias (Louis) Kartsonis on the far left with six unidentified employees. The shop window advertises "Pure Home Made Candies" and other items.

James Floyd

1930's photograph of Kansas Monarchs' trainer James Floyd, commonly know as Jew Baby Floyd, wearing the baseball team's uniform.

Housing, Care and Accessibility of Records

Undated description of the storage of county records in the Wyandotte County Courthouse, including an assessment of the construction and condition of the courthouse building. The assessment also writes that storage conditions in vaults are declining, staff handle documents carelessly, and that "records should be rearranged, classified [and] some of the volumes needs repairing and labelling" for easier access. Recommendation is made for a librarian or other caretaker to make records accessible to the public.

Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church

Photograph of the congregation of Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church standing on the steps in front of the church building, circa 1920. The church was founded in 1917 by the Russian immigrants living in the Strawberry Hill neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas.

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church Choir

Photograph of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church choir dressed in costumes for a performance. The church was founded in 1917 by the Russian immigrants living in the Strawberry Hill neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas.

Henry J. Allen

Henry J. Allen, Governor of Kansas from 1919 to 1923. He also served as a senator from Kansas from 1929 to 1931, and was the editor and publisher of the Wichita Beacon newspaper.

Harbor lines for Kansas River at Kansas City, Kansas

Set of 3 hand-drawn ink-on-linen maps showing the harbor lines for the Kansas River at Kansas City, Kansas, from Turkey Creek to the Argentine Wagon Bridge, showing U. S. Harbor lines, and Kaw Valley Drainage Districts modified lines. Prepared by the Chief Engineer, Drainage Board, for the Kaw Valley Drainage District. It includes the locations of manufacturers along the river.

Guadalupe Center

Photograph of people and vehicles outside the Guadalupe Center in Kansas City, Missouri's Westside neighborhood. The organization, founded in 1919, provided healthcare, education, and other services to the local Mexican immigrant population who had moved to Kansas City for jobs with the railroads and packing houses. The building pictured opened in 1936.

Grund Hotel

1920's photograph of the Grund Hotel at the northwest corner of 6th and Ann Avenue in Kansas City, Kansas.

Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation Board of Trustees

Photograph of the board of trustees for the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation. The members are Rev. John Vasiliades, President Elias S. Sutter, Tony Saffas, Marinos Stathopoulos, Nick Pappas, Theo Tsangares, John A. Agnos, Andrew Lambros, Paul Karzis, George D. Eliopoulos, and Tom Karnezis.

Granada Theater

1930's photograph showing the Granada Theater, built by Ben Gorman, 1015 Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kansas. This vantage point faces south-southeast from the north side of Minnesota Avenue between North 10th Street and North 11th Street.