Search

Displaying 81 - 100 of 211

Photograph of Merriam Christian Church minister Reverend Charles Stanton standing in front of the Sharrum residence, circa 1918. The young man, dressed in a dark suit, stands near a house featuring wood siding, a stone porch, and a porch swing. 

Photograph of six men standing outside Campbell's General Store in Merriam, Kansas, circa 1915. Two men wear overalls, two wear aprons, and one appears to be wearing a transit employee uniform. Signs in the store window advertise Rocky Ford cigars and "Ice Cold Drinks." The store was run by J. M. Campbell, whose family settled in the Merriam area in 1862. 

Photograph of Nathaniel Short, merchant from Aubry, Kansas, circa 1915. Short is pictured wearing dark, rolled-cuff pants, a shirt, and vest, and holding a hat in his hand while standing outside a wood-sided house. 

Photograph of three male baseball players in July 1941. The men, whose uniforms read "KIRKWOOD," were participants in the American Legion league all-star game at Goldman Stadium near 51st and Indiana.

Date: 
July 1941

Aerial view of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis G. Wilson at 67th and Glenwood Streets in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The Wilson residence, at the center of the image, and a neighboring Tudor-style house to the west face 67th Street, which runs across the lower right of the image. Glenwood Street runs north and south through the lower left of the image. Several other houses, barns, and outbuildings surround the Wilson residence, along with large yards and farmland. 

Photograph of DeSoto Rural High School in DeSoto, Kansas, circa 1919. The three-story brick building features many windows and is surrounded by grassy fields. The school building, opened in 1919, later became the City Hall building for the town. 

Date: 
1919

Photograph of a row of houses, one a furnished exhibition house, situated along 69th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas, in September 1941. Cars are parked on the street and visitors to the exhibition house can be seen gathered near the front door and driveway. The exhibition house was built and furnished by J. C. Nichols Companies to showcase similar houses built in the surrounding neighborhood, and was featured in the February 1952 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Listed at the time as 2609 West 69th Street, the address later was changed to 4117 West 69th Street.

Date: 
September 1941

Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. Two men are pictured working on top of the building while one carries a ladder at ground level. A wagon is pictured on the unpaved road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.

Photograph of the construction of a two-story, wood-framed building at the Hodges Brothers Lumber Yard on the southwest corner of Kansas and Elm in Olathe, Kansas, prior to 1921. A man are pictured working on top of the building and a car is parked on an adjacent road. The Hodges Brothers business was founded in 1889 when George H. Hodges purchased the Charles Pettigrew Lumberyard, located on the same street.

Photograph of two women, dressed in trousers and headscarves, bottle feeding a piglet at the Schutzel Farm circa 1937. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Photograph of a child and a goat inside a wood box on the Schutzel Farm in the mid-1930s. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960. The young boy, Emil Schutzel III, was born in 1929. 

Photograph of 11 young girls gathered around and feeding a flock of birds on the Schutzel Farm, circa 1935. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960. The girls were participating in the Campfire Girls program. Judy Hawkins is identified as the first girl on the left, Janice Hewitt is 5th from left, and Suzanne Schutzel at the far right.

Photograph of a group of Campfire Girls riding on a hayrack at Schutzel Farm circa 1935. Emil Schutzel II stands at the front of the hayrack, holding the reins of two horses, with his son, Emil Schutzel III at his rear. A group of 13 girls and an adult women sit, stand, and recline across the rest of the hayrack. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Photograph of two young women driving a horse buggy at the Schultzel Farm circa 1937. Suzanne Schutzel, on the left, holds the horse's reins, while the other young women holds a parasol to shade them. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Photograph of a group of nine women seated near a flock of chickens at the Schultzel Farm circa 1937. The women, part of a Broadway Methodist Church (Kansas City, MO) women's group. Eight of the women are seated, several with purses on their laps, with one woman standing. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Photograph of a woman relaxing in a hammock, surrounded by a flock of chickens, at the Schultzel farm circa 1937. The woman, identified as Mrs. Nichols, is dressed in a blouse and skirt, and was visiting the farm as a member of the Broadway Methodist Church of Kansas City, Missouri. A multicolored flock of chickens surrounds the hammock on the ground, and she is reaching out to touch one of the hens. A flower garden is pictured behind the hammock. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J.

Photograph of a young man kneeling with a dog, surrounded by dead rats, circa 1922. The young man, identified as Harold Dunham, is the son of William Dunham, superintendent of the Johnson County Poor Farm from 1917 to 1923. He is posed with a dog identified as Toodles, who was responsible for killing the 30+ rats at the farm. The farm, located at the northwest corner of 119th Street and Ridgeview Road in Olathe, Kansas, operated from 1863 through World War II. 

Photograph of members of the Olathe Methodist Epicopal Church choir gathered outdoors on July 4, 1918. Handwriting on the photo notes that the choir is at London Heights, presumably the church in Kansas City, Kansas. Harry VanLandingham, secretary of the choir, stands at the far right of the group. Handwritten on the bottom of the print is the note "Daddie's choir at Olathe."

Date: 
July 4th 1918

Photograph of George W. Jensen's house and dairy farm in Prairie Village, Kansas, circa 1940. The Tudor-style house, located at 2821 West 75th Street, is pictured with a barn and other outbuildings, along with a parked truck, located to the west. A dusting of snow covers the lawn and bushes, and trees are bare of leaves. Most of the Jensen property was later sold off to the J.C. Nichols Company for residential development. 

Photograph of the Hoge Funeral Home building at 8024 Santa Fe Drive, in the 1930s. Originally built as a home for the Charles Pincomb family, the building became the site of Hoge Funeral Home in 1932. The business operated in this location until 1965 when the house was razed and a new funeral home building constructed to the south. The two story building is pictured with stucco siding and a Spanish tile roof, and the fender of a car is visible parked on Santa Fe Drive.

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY