Photograph of H. O. (Herbert Orvis) Peet dressed in riding habit and posing with a horse circa 1937. Peet holds the horse's reins in his left hand while his right rests on a timber fence. A stone wall and leafless trees can be seen behind him. Peet began his career with Peet Brothers Soap Company, founded by his grandfather, shortly before it was sold to Colgate & Co. He later founded H. O. Peet and Co. stock brokerage.
Comic-style drawing depicting the fox hunting community in Johnson County, made as a gift for Joe and Steve Stubbs by Frank Huston, circa 1937. Homes and farms belonging to members and sites of hunts are depicted. Members of the Mission Valley Hunt Club, including Marguerite Peet, H. O. Peet, O. J. Bitler, and Joe Mackey are listed.
Photograph of the intersection of Manor Road and 81st Street in Leawood, Kansas, circa 1939, looking south on Meadow Lane from 81st Street. An automobile is parked on the side of the road with door open near a fire hydrant, and a house is visible in the center background of the image.
Photograph of six young women dressed in Native American costumes circa 1920. The girls, members of the Campfire Girls program, are wear fringed dresses and feather headbands, are crouched on the floor around three candles. They are gathered in the McShane family home at Johnson Drive and Mastin Street in Merriam, Kansas, and the girl at left is identified as Lois McShane.
Photograph of nine young women, Campfire Girls participants, posed as a group circa 1920. Six girls wear Native American costumes including beads and feather headbands, while three wear dark dresses. They are gathered in the McShane family home at Johnson Drive and Mastin Street in Merriam, Kansas, and the girl in the middle of the second row is identified as Lois McShane
Photograph of young women, Campfire Girls participants, posed as a group circa 1920. Four girls sit around a fireplace wearing Native American costumes including fringed dresses and feather headbands, while while two others stand against the mantle, visible from the shoulders down. They are gathered in the McShane family home at Johnson Drive and Mastin Street in Merriam, Kansas, and the girl in the middle of the second row is identified as Lois McShane
Photograph of the 1921 Merriam High School girls basketball team. Eight student/players pose on steps in front of a school building door with a teacher. A girl at center holds a basketball marked "MHS '21." The girls wear white houses with dark scarves and lace-up, high ankle shoes; their teacher wears a dark dress with white lace at the collar.
Photograph of the staff of the Johnson County treasurer's office in 1918. The eleven staff members, six men and five women, stand on the steps of a brick building in front of a wrought iron railing.
Photograph of the dedication of a DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) marker commemorating the location of the Baptist Mission to the Shawnee Indians in 1929. The site, called Mission Ridge, is located near 55th and Walmer in what was later Mission, Kansas. The location was also the site of the first printing press in Kansas in 1833. DAR members pull a fabric cover from the granite monument, which reads "To commemorate Baptist Mission to Shawnee Indians." A crowd is gathered around the monument, which stands in front of a shingle-roofed building.
Postcard of view along Pembroke Lane in Mission Hills, Kansas, circa 1920. Looking southeast along Pembroke Lane from the front yard of 5620 Pembroke Lane, the postcard depicts a small stone bridge allowing a driveway to cross over a drainage area, flower beds, and trees. The house located at 5625 Pembroke lane is visible on the left side of the image.
Photograph of the back and backyard of house at 5528 Glenwood Street in Mission, Kansas, in 1941. The house, owned by Marvin Nye, has a bird bath and Adirondack chairs in the back yard of the one-story wood-sided house. Mrs. Nye can be seen kneeling on the ground next to the family dog.
Photograph of a group gathered for the Merriam Homemakers Club "Dad's Night" in 1921. The party took place in the home of Lee and Etta Cox. Eight seated women are surrounded by eight men who are seated or standing. The club, initially founded in 1913 as a "mother's club," ended in 2015. The club was an opportunity for local women to socialize, organize, and share advice.
Photograph of five members of the Merriam Homemakers Club in 1936. The women are identified as, from left to right, Mrs. X. O. (Nellie) Meyer, Mrs. Lee (Etta) Cox, Mrs. Abe Peachy, Mrs. Frank Miller, and Mrs. Louis Stark. The women stand in a row near the porch of a house. Mrs. Cox, listed as the guest of honor, wears a flower dress and talks with Mrs. Meyer. The club was an opportunity for local women to socialize, organize, and share advice.
Photograph of past presidents of the Merriam Homemakers Club circa 1921. The ten women, dressed in long dresses, stand looking at the camera at an outdoor location. Leafless trees are visible in the background. The women are identified, from left to right, as Etta Cox, unknown, Mrs. Abe Peachy, Mrs. Louis Stark, unknown, Nellie Meyer, Mrs. C. H. Loomis, Lena Horner, and Mrs. C. F. Terry. The photograph was part of the Merriam Homemakers Club "1921-1922 Mrs. Henry J. Miller's Presidents Books."
Photograph of Countryside Christian Church in Countryside, later Mission, Kansas, circa 1942. The church building is pictured surrounded by trees, looking east from across Nall Avenue. The building was dedicated on April 12, 1942, and was destroyed by fire in 1944. It was rebuilt in 1945.
Photograph of a road under construction in the Countryside area, later Mission, Kansas, circa 1940. The road, likely Shawnee Mission Parkway, is surrounded by trees and bare soil, and has two metal trash cans standing next to paved areas. The road rises up an include to the left toward the background of the image. A label included with the photograph indicates the picture was taken near Shawnee Mission Parkway and Nall Avenue.
Photograph of a two-story house at 5704 W. 61st Terrace in Mission, Kansas, circa 1940. The house has a one-car garage, bay window, and screened porch, and was built in 1939.
Photograph of a house at 5821 W. 61st Terrace in Mission, Kansas, circa 1941. The house has a one-car garage, screened porch, and gravel driveway, and was built in 1941.
Photograph of a house at 5614 Newton Street in Mission, Kansas, circa 1940. The house, built by A. B. Dillie, features a sloped gabled roof, small dormer windows, and an arched entryway. The entry is flanked by larger evergreens.
Photograph of buildings on the south side of Johnson Drive between Nieman Road and Barton Drive circa 1915. The Shawnee State Bank building, at the corner of Johnson and Nieman, stands at the left side of the image and is partly covered in ivy. Immediately to its west stands a vacant lot, then four more stone one- and two-story buildings. Telephone poles line Johnson Drive, which was known as Main Street at the time of the photo.