Search

Displaying 1 - 20 of 211

Photograph of Shawnee Mission Rural High School, looking southwest from Johnson Drive, in the early 1920s. The two-story brick building with arched entryway opened in 1922, was renamed Shawnee Mission High School in 1945, and became Shawnee Mission North High School in 1958. 

Photograph of a trolley car traveling along the Strang Line interurban railway tracks in the early 1900s. A stone car barn and engine room are visible in the background. 

Photograph of a Strang Line trolley car passing in front of tall wooden fence at Aviation Park in the 1910s. The airfield and park was roughly located between 83rd Street on the north and 87th Street on the south, and and Lowell Avenue on the west and Riley Street on the east. 

Strang Line Car

Photograph of the front section of a Strang Line trolley car in the early 1900s. A man is seen walking alongside the car, while another stands inside it.

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn after it was destroyed by fire in 1925. Two men are seen walking through the rubble, and a trolley car is visible in the background of the image between stone columns. 

Date: 
1925

Photograph of a Strang Land Company building at 80th and Santa Fe Road in the early 1900s. A man stands at the front of the building. The Strang Land Company was formed by William Strang to subdivide and sell land near his interurban railway line in Johnson County, Kansas. The building was later destroyed by fire.

Photograph of four men standing in front of Scheper's garage and hardware store in the early 1900s. The shop was located on Santa Fe Road between 79th and 80th Streets in downtown Overland Park, Kansas. 

Photograph of Walnut Grove, a grassy area surrounded by trees, in downtown Overland Park circa 1920. Looking north along Santa Fe Drive from near 80th Street, the Strang Line car barn can be seen in the background at left, and rRailroad tracks run along the right side of the image.

Photograph of a man standing in the construction site of a Baptist church in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1920. Brick walls are built to approximately 6 feet, and houses are visible in the background. 

Photograph of the Strang Line Car Barn after it was destroyed by fire in 1925. The exterior stone walls remain while the interior and roof were destroyed. Railroad tracks cross the foreground of the image, a trolley car stands near the building, and the ground is dusted in snow.

Date: 
1925

Photograph of the Strang Line Car Barn after it was destroyed by fire in 1925. The exterior stone walls remain while the interior and roof were destroyed. Railroad tracks cross the foreground of the image, a trolley car stands near the building, and the ground is dusted in snow.

Date: 
1925

Photograph of postal carrier Cornelius Jackson in the 1920s. Jackson, a former slave, transported mail by horse cart between Merriam and the Shawnee Mission Post Office. He is photographed sitting in his cart, drawn by a white horse, in front of a stone restaurant building. 

Photograph, circa 1941, of a two-story clapboard house at 51st and Quivira in Shawnee, Kansas. Owned by Wilhelmina Loercher, the house was purchased by her father John G. Meyer circa 1870, and was formerly the home of Shawnee chief and Methodist minister Rev. Charles Bluejacket. 

Photograph of three women standing on a stony outcropping in Zimmerman Park circa 1930s. The area, owned by Adolph Zimmerman, was cultivated as a private park and was located northeast of Stilwell, Kansas. The property was purchased by the YMCA and operated as a camp from 1943 to 1998. 

Photograph of activity centered on railroad tracks, circa 1920s. A train is in operation at the background of the image, with tracks running to the foreground. Men stand on either side of the tracks, alongside large tanks on the left and train wheels on the right. 

Photograph of the Conser Building, on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster in downtown Overland Park, circa 1920. The two-story brick building was built by Grant Conser in 1911 and housed a general store on its lower level and a meeting hall on the upper floor.

Photograph of grocery store deli counter with meats and cheese visible behind glass, and signs advertising prices for late June peas, baking chocolate, floor wax, and other products hanging above. 

Date: 
1929

Photograph of the stone Overland Park School building, built in 1909, near the intersection of Robinson and Santa Fe in Overland Park. The grade school was constructed on land donated by William Strang, and was destroyed fire in January, 1920. 

Photograph of the Flatiron Building at 8024 Santa Fe Drive in Overland Park. The one-story building served as a commercial space, and in the late 1920s, became the home of the Overland Park Herald newspaper. A two-story house in the background of the image was occupied by Hoge Funeral Home at the time of the photograph. The Flatiron Building was later demolished for the construction of a new funeral home building.

Photograph of a large pavilion building standing in Overland Park, Kansas's Aviation Park. Built by William Strang in 1913, the building housed a dance floor, classroom space, and a stage for performances, and the exterior featured towers for spectators and a large veranda. The airfield and park was roughly located between 83rd Street on the north and 87th Street on the south, and and Lowell Avenue on the west and Riley Street on the east. 

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY