Search

Displaying 6121 - 6131 of 6131

Photograph of bottles and packages of confiscated liquor outside of the Johnson County Courthouse circa 1938. Law enforcement officers look over the confiscated materials. A caption included with the original image reads "Sheriff E. B. Pitt and Bob Grigsby Examining Liquor Found in One Car on 10 Hi-Way."

Photograph of Hugh and Mary White's four children at the Wolverine Dairy Farm in Overland Park circa 1941. Standing on the ground in front of a bar, the children are, from left to right, Bob, Joe, and Louise; Gene sits on a horse behind them. Joe holds a rabbit and Louise holds a dog. A silo is visible beyond the barn. The farm was located near 85th Street and Metcalf Avenue.

Portrait of Corinthian Clay Nutter circa 1940. Born in Texas, Nutter moved to Kansas City at age 16 and worked as a pianist and organist. After receiving degrees from Western University in Quinaro and Emporia State University, she worked as a teacher at Walker Elementary School in Merriam, Kansas and testified before the Kansas Supreme Court in Webb v. School District No. 90 in 1949, a case which resulted in the integration of a new school building.

Photograph of the Roesland School student orchestra on the school stage circa 1935. Approximately 30 students sit in folding chairs arranged in a semi-circle, holding their instruments. Their teacher, and several other students, stand at rear. The stage features an ornately painted backdrop, and a piano stands on the ground in front of the stage.

Photograph of attendees at the National Fraternal Society of the Deaf auxiliary anniversary banquet on November 12, 1938. The banquet was held at the Ambassador Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri, and attendees are photographed sitting at tables or standing around the perimeter of a hotel ballroom. The organization, founded in 1901, served to provide insurance benefits, advocacy, and social opportunities for deaf members.

Date: 
November 12th 1938

Photograph of the Local Committee on Arrangements for the 1935 National Fraternal Society for the Deaf convention in Kansas City, Missouri. The organization, founded in 1901, served to provide insurance benefits, advocacy, and social opportunities for deaf members.

Date: 
1935

Photograph of the Kansas School for the Deaf 1919 football team. Seventeen young men pose in three rows wearing football uniforms that include padded jerseys with striped sleeves. Their coach wears a suit and cap in the middle of the back row. The photograph was taken on the football field at William Jewell College, and a house is visible in the background. The Kansas School for the Deaf was established in Olathe in 1866 and provides education, vocational training, and athletics for deaf students in Kansas.

Date: 
1919

Photograph of Kansas School for the Deaf students sitting in the school's auditorium/chapel in the early 1900s. Female students are seated on the left side of the aisle and male students on the right. The school was established in Olathe in 1866 and provides education, vocational training, and athletics for deaf students in Kansas.

Group photograph of a gathering of Kansas School for the Deaf students and others, likely members of the South Kansas City Business Club, in 1938. Gathered in a room with Asian décor, male students wear neckties and girls wear dresses. Writing on the photograph reads "Greetings & thanks to these boys & girls of the K.S.S. for T. D. -- who served us on our good will tour -- From -- The South Kansas City Business Club.

Date: 
May 25th 1938

Photograph of the Kansas School for the Deaf 1918-1919 basketball team. Ten young men standing in a line, facing to the left, wearing tall socks, shorts, and sleeveless shirts. A basketball is on the ground in front of the players. The school was established in Olathe in 1866 and provides education, vocational training, and athletics for deaf students in Kansas.

Students are identified as, from left to right: Merrill Peppard, Harold Collier, Charles Metcalf, Joe Paxton, Robert Jackson, Fountain Williams, Nathan Lahn, Archie Grier, David Kreisel, and Joe Weber.

Date: 
1918
Corner view of a multistorey brick building

Photograph of the segregated Lincoln High School, once located at the northeast corner of Tracy Avenue and 19th Street in Kansas City, Missouri. This vantage point faces northeast at the intersection of Tracy and 19th.

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY