With Kansas City, Missouri, physician, T. C. Unthank, M.D., Dr. Thompson founded Douglass Hospital and Training School for Nurses. Dr. Thompson’s hospital fell under the authority of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1905. In 1924 the hospital purchased a new building at 336 Quindaro Boulevard. In 1937 it moved, for the last time, to 3700 North 27th Street, on the campus of Western University.
Inside cover describes the volume as "the story of a trip South that was taken April 9, 1920, by 27 Negro Business and Professional Men of Kansas City and the Biography of each..." The story was published as a serial in the Kansas City Call. The back of the booklet contains advertisements for a number of local businesses.