Signs

Displaying 1 - 4 of 4
Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of Lois and Robert Sanders and an unidentied woman posing near a Country Club Plaza sign in winter, circa 1930. Lois, a local entertainer and radio personality, stands at left; Robert, first mayor of Fairway, Kansas, peeks from underneath the sign; their unidentified companion stands at right. The sign reads "Country Club Plaza Shopping Center Free Parking" and includes an image of a tower. Buildings and utility poles are visible in the background of the image. 

Genre: 
Photographs

Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855.

Genre: 
Photographs

A young boy with his bike and dog photographed in front of a Slow - Children street sign erected by the Westwood Homes Association at Westwood Road and Mercier. This vantage point faces north-northwest at the intersection of Mercier Street and Westwood Road.

Genre: 
Photographs

An early J. C. Nichols Company sign located on Brookside Boulevard by Countryside Park. In the background is the "Rock House" located at 5230 Brookside Boulevard. This vantage point faces west on Brookside Boulevard between 52nd Street and 53rd Street. The sign reads: "1000 Acres Restricted, Country Club District, Highly Developed and Protected Residence Property, water, light, gas, etc., attractive prices, J. C. Nichols, High Class Residence Property, 1213-14 Commerce Bldg.".

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY