Photograph of a two-story brick house in Prairie Village, Kansas, circa 1935. The house was built by Henry Coppock, an early Johnson County settler, in the late 1800s. An automobile is pictured in front of the house, which is surrounded by trees. The later Homestead Country Club occupied land that was once part of Coppock's large farm property.
Photograph of the Patrons Fire & Tornado Association building at 125 South Cherry Street in Olathe, circa 1940. The stone building features an arched roof line bearing the name of the company, and the year 1912, marking its construction, is marked under the arch. Two men, identified as inspectors B. M. Ottaway and Floyd B. Reynolds, stand in front of the building next to two parked vehicles. The vehicles have ladders mounted on their roofs and have "Patrons Insurance Olathe, Kansas" and "Loss Prevention Service 'For Grangers'" painted on their sides.
Photograph of a car parked along Lakeshore Drive West on the west side of Lake Quivira in 1931 or 1932. Work on the lake and the surrounding area was started by the Quivira Development Company in 1927. The first stages of the project were completed by the early 1930s.
Photograph of downtown Shawnee, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking west down Main Street (later Johnson Drive) from its intersection with 5th Street (later Nieman Road), streetcar rails run along the side of the unpaved roads. The Shawnee Garage service station stands on the southwest corner of the intersection, at the left edge of the photo. Buildings lining the south side of Main Street, west of 5th, include Shawnee State Bank, a drug store, and a theater. A sign reading noting U.S. Highway 50 stands in the intersection over and arrow pointing south.
Photograph of a row of houses, one a furnished exhibition house, situated along 69th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas, in September 1941. Cars are parked on the street and visitors to the exhibition house can be seen gathered near the front door and driveway. The exhibition house was built and furnished by J. C. Nichols Companies to showcase similar houses built in the surrounding neighborhood, and was featured in the February 1952 issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. Listed at the time as 2609 West 69th Street, the address later was changed to 4117 West 69th Street.
Photograph of two men standing next to two trucks in Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1920. The trucks are parked in front of a business advertising "millinery," "notions, "dry goods," and "Queensware" dishes in the front windows. A crate labeled "EGGS" is visible in the back of one truck, while the other contains cages of chickens. Two wood-frame houses are visible on the right side of the image.
Photograph of Park Street in downtown Olathe Kansas, looking east, circa 1930. The image shows two- and three-story stone and brick buildings, cars parked at curbs, and streetcar rails leading down Park Street. A sign on the building at the front right of the image reads "First National Bank."
Photograph of the Castle Apartments, once located on the west side of Troost Avenue between 26th Street and 27th Street. This vantage point faces northwest near the northeast corner of 27th and Troost.