George Fuller Green
George F. Green had two careers—one to build up Kansas City and one to help remember Kansas City’s past. His first vocation as an architect and builder led to his later avocation as the city’s first historian and archivist.
Green grew up in Kansas City and received an architecture degree from the University of Michigan. He went to work in 1912 as a draftsman for city architect Henry Hoit. Just one year later, he was assigned the position of assistant superintendent of buildings. He married his wife, Nina, in 1914 and the couple had four children—three daughters and one son.
As a practicing architect, Green was responsible for designs for the University Club at Ninth and Baltimore streets, the Fort Osage restoration project, and Trinity United Methodist Church at 620 E. Armour Boulevard. Green served on the Kansas City Board of Park Commissioners from 1955 until 1959 and was heavily involved in the installation of the William Volker Memorial fountain.
After retiring from the field of architecture, Green pursued the documentation of local history. At the age of 72, he was appointed as Kansas City’s first historian and curator of the city archives by Mayor H. Roe Bartle. Green worked enthusiastically at this position, often six days a week, for no pay. His interest in local history and a desire to record it led him to his office in City Hall, the only occupied office at the time on the 26th floor. He also served as president of the Native Sons of Kansas City and of the Kansas City Museum association.
Green’s book, A Condensed History of the Kansas City Area, was published in 1968. The book was dedicated to his son, Lieutenant John J. Green II, who died while serving in the Navy during World War II.
Green continued volunteering as city historian until shortly before his death at 83.
A version of this article previously appeared at http://www.kchistory.org/content/biography-george-fuller-green-1887-1970...
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.