Search

Displaying 61 - 80 of 211

Photographs of businesses on a corner of Cherry and Park Streets in downtown Olathe, Kansas, in the 1940s. The brick and stone buildings house businesses including Pember's Men's Store, IGA Stores, Pember's Ladies Store, Kelly Morris Store, and Patron's Bank. 

Photograph of the Hotel Olathe at 100 West Santa Fe Street in Olathe, Kansas, in the 1940s. A Holland Vending truck and two cars are parked in front of the hotel, and awnings cover the hotel windows. The building was formerly the Pearl Mills flour mill, and renovated into a hotel in 1889. It was purchased by the Urban Renewal Agency in 1968, and demolished for redevelopment at the site. 

Photograph of a small structure at the northeast corner of Pine and Santa Fe Streets in Olathe, Kansas, circa 1940. The small business, owned and operated by Ed Rebesman, has signs advertising Pepsi and Whistle sodas on the side. Houses can be seen in the background of the image, and two young boys stand with one man seated at the door and another standing alongside. 

Photograph of the home of Clara and Alfonso Stough, looking east from Overland Park Drive to its location near 80th and Marty in Overland Park, circa 1940. The two story house is surrounded by trees and a grass prairie stands to its east. 

Photograph of the home of Clara and Alfonso Stough, near 80th and Marty in Overland Park, circa 1940. The two-story home includes a stone porch, cedar shakes, and a porch swing. A swinging gate leads to the sidewalk. 

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn and power plant in Overland Park, Kansas, circa the late 1940s. Officially named the Missouri and Kansas Interurban Railway, the Strang Line ceased operations in 1940, and the car barn is shown heavily covered in ivy, with tracks overgrown with weeds in the foreground.

Photograph of an unidentified Strang Line station in Johnson County, Kansas, circa 1940. The small building features half stone walls and ornate rafter tails, and a car is parked to its side.

Photograph of a a women's softball team in Edgerton, Kansas, circa 1935. Ten of the eleven women wear uniforms consisting of dark, knee-length bloomers, stockings, and boots, white blouses, and caps reading "RED STAR." Two women in the front row also hold baseball bats. Chicken wire fencing and bleachers are visible in the background of the image. 

Photograph of the Kittle family's home at 8039 West 80th in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1916. The two-story wood house was occupied by the family of O. H. Kittle, dry goods company operator, and a car is visible in the driveway at the right side of the image.

Photograph of the swimming pool at the rear of the Kittle family home at in Westwood Hills, Kansas, in 1935. A woman and two girls in bathing suits and caps are pictured in the pool, with another girl sitting on the edge. A stone wall separates the pool from the Tudor-style house. 

Date: 
1935

Photograph of the swimming pool at the rear of the Kittle family home at in Westwood Hills, Kansas, in 1935. A girl in bathing suit and camp stands poised to dive at a corner of the pool, while three other women and girls are in the pool. An ivied stone wall with fireplace surrounds the pool area.

Date: 
1935

Photograph of the backyard of the Kittle family house, adjacent to their swimming pool, in Westwood Hills, Kansas, circa 1935. The image shows a table covered by an umbrella and a garden area inside a stone wall, and neighboring houses and garages can be seen in the background of the image.

Photograph of the Kittle family house backyard and swimming pool in Westwood Hills, Kansas, circa 1931. Looking southwest from a neighboring property, the image displays the yard's stone walls, swimming pool, and a neighboring house in the background. 

Exterior photograph of the Kittle Dry Goods store in downtown Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. The two-story brick building has a painted sign advertising "dry goods, shoes, [and] furnishings" in the awning-shaded front window, above a display of dresses and home goods. Second-story windows feature signs that say "CARBAUGH" and "PHYSICIAN." The building, originally known as the Conser Building, is located on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster Streets and was built by Grant Conser in 1911.

Interior photograph of the Kittle Dry Goods store in downtown Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1935. A man, likely owner O. H. Kittle, is pictured at the center of the image, and clothing, bolts of fabric, sewing patterns, and dishes are among the types of merchandise pictured. The building, originally known as the Conser Building, is located on the northwest corner of 80th and Foster Streets and was built by Grant Conser in 1911.

Photograph of the Sinclair Oil Company station, the first gas station in Johnson County, at 75th and Metcalf, circa 1920. Ralph Jessup, dressed in coveralls and a cap, stands near a gas pump. A sign atop the service station reads "Jessup's Service Station" and "Sinclair Gasoline."

Photograph of the Lenexa baseball team, circa 1920. Twelve men are pictured, with ten in baseball uniforms reading LENEXA on the front. Several cars and a house are visible behind the team. 

Photograph of Holy Trinity Catholic School in Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1917. The one-story stone building sits above an elevated basement, and cross stands atop an arched roofline. Two newly-planted trees stand in front of the building. The building was razed in the 1960s, and the site remained home to a larger Holy Trinity church and school campus. 

Photograph of two men standing next to two trucks in Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1920. The trucks are parked in front of a business advertising "millinery," "notions, "dry goods," and "Queensware" dishes in the front windows. A crate labeled "EGGS" is visible in the back of one truck, while the other contains cages of chickens. Two wood-frame houses are visible on the right side of the image. 

Photograph of the Porter Dairy Farm near 91st and Antioch in Overland Park, Kansas, in the early 1900s. Barns, silos, and other farm buildings are visible in the middle of the image, surrounded by pastureland. 

Pages

KANSAS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY | DIGITAL HISTORY