Photograph of downtown Merriam, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking north from the corner of Main Street and Merriam Avenue, the unpaved road is lined with businesses, utility poles, and parked vehicles. One sign reads "Mueller's Market," while others advertise real estate, a cafe, a drugstore, and Coca-Cola.
Photograph of a group of young men gathered near two bars at Porter Dairy Farm in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1930. The barns are built from stone on their lower levels and have wood siding on the second levels. The group of 25 young men wear a variety of clothing, including overalls, hats, and neckties. The farm was located near 91st Street and Antioch Road in Overland Park, Kansas.
Photograph of a group of 15-20 young men working in the Shawnee Mission Rural High School shop, circa 1935. The photograph is labeled as Future Farmers of America "Cooperative Activities," and the students are pictured doing a variety of activities, including metal working at an anvil, and constructing wooden crates. A drill press is mounted on a column in the middle of the image, and one boy is pictured in coveralls with "FFA Shawnee Mission" and another word printed on the back.
Photograph of a group of young men testing milk as part of a Future Farmers of American program at Shawnee Mission Rural High school, circa 1935. Twelve young men look at as another performs tests on a bottle of milk using a milk cabinet. The image was included in the Future Farmers of America "Cooperative Activities; Cow Testing Association" collection.
Photograph of a classroom in the Vocational Agricultural Department at the Shawnee Mission Rural High School, circa 1935. The room includes large tables lined with chairs, shelves and cabinets filled with books and equipment, large windows, and a radiator. A sign one one cabinet reads "DEPT. OF VOCATIONAL AGRICULTURE," and an emblem on the far wall reads "FFA VOCATIONAL AGRICULTURE."
Photograph of a corner of a tool room in the Vocational Agricultural Department at the Shawnee Mission Rural High School, circa 1935. The room contains a variety of tools, barrels, wooden carriers, and a worktable. A scrapbook containing the original image reads, "Very little equipment has been purchased, as it has been the policy to make such things in shop where possible."
Photograph of a sign at the Shawnee Indian Mission site in Fairway, Kansas, circa 1935. The sign, posted in from of the mission's boarding school, reads "BUILDING PART OF SHAWNEE MISSION. SOUTH WING ONCE 100 FEET LONGER THAN NOW. ERECTED 1839. RESIDENCE OF SUPT. AND BOARDING HOUSE OF MISSION. ALSO DORMITORIES AND OFFICES. NOV. 24, 1854. GOV. ANDREW H. REEDER MOVED EXECUTIVE OFFICES OF KANSAS TERRITORY INTO THIS BUILDING. MOVED TO PAWNEE, FORT RILEY MILITARY RESERVATION, JUNE 27, 1855.
Photograph of a group of 21 young men posing and drinking milk out of bottles circa 1935. The young men, participants in the Future Farmers of America program, stand next to a a barn. A herd of cows is visible in the background of the image.
Photograph of the Shawnee Indian Mission cemetery circa 1935. The cemetery, surrounded by a stone wall, includes more than a dozen small head stones, several taller monuments, and flowers are planted at several grave sites. Reverend Thomas Johnson and his family are buried in the mission cemetery.
Photograph of downtown Lenexa, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking northeast from the intersection of Pflumm Road and Santa Fe Trail Drive, the brick Farmer's State Bank building stands at the left side of the image. Commercial buildings with signs advertising businesses and products including a garage, Miller Lite beer, and Coca-Cola, hang in front of one- and two-story brick and stone buildings to the northeast along Santa Fe. A sign denoting Santa Fe as U.S. Highway 50 also stands at the intersection.
Photograph of downtown Shawnee, Kansas, circa 1935. Looking west down Main Street (later Johnson Drive) from its intersection with 5th Street (later Nieman Road), streetcar rails run along the side of the unpaved roads. The Shawnee Garage service station stands on the southwest corner of the intersection, at the left edge of the photo. Buildings lining the south side of Main Street, west of 5th, include Shawnee State Bank, a drug store, and a theater. A sign reading noting U.S. Highway 50 stands in the intersection over and arrow pointing south.
Photograph of nine women and a man standing in a large kitchen in Shawnee Rural High School in 1938. The image, taken from a scrapbook, includes a note below saying "Over 100 local FFA officers attended," and is part of the "F.F.A.'s Leadership Activities; Sixth Annual Officer's School" section. The women, many with aprons over their dresses, stand amid large tables, metal shelving, and other equipment.
Photograph of a young man and sheep posed outdoors next to a Shawnee Mission Future Farmers of America sign in 1938. The young man kneels on the ground, holding the sheep, with trees, an outbuilding, and a car in the background. The photo is part of the 1938 Future Farmers of America Scrapbook.
Photograph of a young man holding a wheelbarrow outside of Shawnee Mission Rural High School in 1938. The young man, a participant in the Future Farmers of America program, stands on snow-covered ground outside the school building. The photograph is part of the 1938 Future Farmers of American scrapbook.
Photograph of the clubhouse building at Lake Quivira, looking south across Crescent Boulevard, in 1931 or 1932. The clubhouse building, completed in 1930, stands at the northeast corner of Lake Quivira, and includes a stone and stucco facade and Spanish-style tiled roof. Newly planted trees are also visible around the building.
Photograph of Crescent Beach at Lake Quivira, looking north along the beach to the Lake Quivira Clubhouse, in 1931 or 1932. The beach and clubhouse opened in 1930 following the construction of the dam which created Lake Quivira. An elevated boardwalk and pier line part of the beach, and people are pictured swimming, sunbathing, walking, and playing in the sand. The clubhouse stands on the north end of the beach, and a two-story wood-sided house, the location of the Quivira Development Offices, is visible in the background of the image, across Crescent Boulevard from the clubhouse.
Interior photograph of the Lake Quivira Country Club dining room in 1931 or 1932. The long narrow room includes wood floors, dark wood tables and chairs, and arched doorways in plastered walls. The clubhouse building was completed in 1930.
Photograph of the Lake Quivira Country Club clubhouse great room in 1931 or 1932. The open room is pictured with multiple large area rugs, sofas, and arm chairs. An arched doorway in the background of the image allows access to the clubhouse dining room. The clubhouse building was completed in 1930.
Photograph of a car parked along Lakeshore Drive West on the west side of Lake Quivira in 1931 or 1932. Work on the lake and the surrounding area was started by the Quivira Development Company in 1927. The first stages of the project were completed by the early 1930s.
Aerial photograph of Lake Quivira looking south across the dam along the length of the lake in 1931 or 1932. The Lake Quivira Country Club clubhouse and Crescent Beach are visible on the left side of the image. Lakeshore Drive traces the edge of the lake. Work on the lake and the surrounding area was started by the Quivira Development Company in 1927. The first stages of the project were completed by the early 1930s.