Overland Park, KS

Displaying 1 - 12 of 61

Women Bottle-Feeding a Piglet

Photograph of two women, dressed in trousers and headscarves, bottle feeding a piglet at the Schutzel Farm circa 1937. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Woman in a Hammock

Photograph of a woman relaxing in a hammock, surrounded by a flock of chickens, at the Schultzel farm circa 1937. The woman, identified as Mrs. Nichols, is dressed in a blouse and skirt, and was visiting the farm as a member of the Broadway Methodist Church of Kansas City, Missouri. A multicolored flock of chickens surrounds the hammock on the ground, and she is reaching out to touch one of the hens. A flower garden is pictured behind the hammock. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J.

White Family at Wolverine Dairy Farm

Photograph of Hugh and Mary White's four children at the Wolverine Dairy Farm in Overland Park circa 1941. Standing on the ground in front of a bar, the children are, from left to right, Bob, Joe, and Louise; Gene sits on a horse behind them. Joe holds a rabbit and Louise holds a dog. A silo is visible beyond the barn. The farm was located near 85th Street and Metcalf Avenue.

Walnut Grove

Photograph of Walnut Grove, a grassy area surrounded by trees, in downtown Overland Park circa 1920. Looking north along Santa Fe Drive from near 80th Street, the Strang Line car barn can be seen in the background at left, and rRailroad tracks run along the right side of the image.

Two Women in a Horse Buggy

Photograph of two young women driving a horse buggy at the Schultzel Farm circa 1937. Suzanne Schutzel, on the left, holds the horse's reins, while the other young women holds a parasol to shade them. The 55-acre farm, near 135th Street (then Kansas Highway 150) and Switzer Street, was owned by Emil J. and Dorothy Schutzel from 1934 to 1960.

Strang Line Power House and Car Barn

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn and power plant in Overland Park, Kansas, circa the 1910s. Five men stand in front of the ivy-covered stone building, and a water tower is pictured in the background of the image. 

Strang Line Milburn Station

Interior photograph of the Strang Line's Milburn Station in Overland Park, Kansas, circa 1925. The station served the Milburn Country Club and adjacent neighborhood, located near 71st Street and Metcalf Avenue. A sign reading "The Santa Fe Trail Route" and "Time Card" hangs on a wall in the hand-tinted image. 

Strang Line Conductor Lon Cave

Photograph of Strang Line interurban railway conductor Leonidas "Lon" Cave, wearing his conductor's uniform, standing on the sidewalk in front of a line of houses near 79th and Santa Fe Drive circa 1910. Cave was later elected Johnson County sheriff.

Strang Line Car Barn Covered in Ivy

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn and power plant in Overland Park, Kansas, circa the late 1940s. Officially named the Missouri and Kansas Interurban Railway, the Strang Line ceased operations in 1940, and the car barn is shown heavily covered in ivy, with tracks overgrown with weeds in the foreground.

Strang Line Car Barn After Fire

Photograph of the Strang Line Car Barn after it was destroyed by fire in 1925. The exterior stone walls remain while the interior and roof were destroyed. Railroad tracks cross the foreground of the image, a trolley car stands near the building, and the ground is dusted in snow.

Strang Line Car Barn after Fire

Photograph of the Strang Line car barn after it was destroyed by fire in 1925. Two men are seen walking through the rubble, and a trolley car is visible in the background of the image between stone columns. 

Strang Line Car

Photograph of a Strang Line trolley car passing in front of tall wooden fence at Aviation Park in the 1910s. The airfield and park was roughly located between 83rd Street on the north and 87th Street on the south, and and Lowell Avenue on the west and Riley Street on the east.